Sunday, November 23, 2014

An Olivetti Lettera 22 with Scriptin' Style!

Greetings from the new arrival in the House Full of Nerds! Pistachio isn't just a an Olivetti 22; it has a variation of the curly script typeface that sometimes (rarely) appears on Olivetti and Smith-Corona typewriters. For Typospherians with typeface fetishes, this is one of those objects of desire. Pistachio is even one scarcer colors found on Olivetti machines in the wild.

Pistachio with a friend who has just been serviced. That Groma is one light and snappy machine! It isn't quite as hyper as an Olympia or Topedo, but it is really nice to type on. Boring typeface, though ;-)




After several years of searching and bidding in vain, I happened upon a Smith-Corona Silent Super and then this lovely machine within months of each other as Buy it Now items on ebay. Before I go any further, let's jump straight to the typeface samples. In order of appearance: Lettera 22, Silent Super, Olympia SM-9, and a Torpedo 18.

I was fortunate that Pistachio was in generally good condition and fully operable. The seller double boxed it as requested and Fed-Ex did its thing without maiming or destruction. I opened it up, lubed everything I could, washed and bleached the shell, put on a new generic ribbon on the original spools, and cleaned the type slugs with mineral spirits and a toothbrush. PB Blaster is a miracle lube, but curiously I find this Italian machine to be more responsive than the first year of production British Lettera 22. It still requires a light, fast stroke, but the strikes seem to be easier and more consistent. This is a good thing as I need to type more. So busy I have been.

Olivettis of feather, flock together!


Olivetti industrial design is so clean and seemingly uncomplicated. The details make a huge difference, however. Not having flattened rollers is kinda awesome. The rail and tab stop mechanisms are elegant works of art.


I love the view under the hood. The original ribbon spools are super cool. The outer shell took a bit of abuse sometime in the last 50+ years with the front, right screw tab broken off. Crazy glue seems to be holding it together.

Any chance of figuring out the year of manufacture in Italy?



And here it is with the kissing cousin from Glasgow.






For any of you typewriter nerds who enjoy a mystery (I'm thinking of Ted Munk, Ton, and Richard Polt), here is the Glasgow machine's serial number in all of its confounding glory. I have yet to find an image of another Lettera with an embossed paper table.




I'm sure there are more examples that I just can't remember at the moment. Tom Furrier at Cambridge Typewriter Works recently serviced a machine identical to my Smith-Corona. Natalie at natslaptaps has a beautiful coral color L22 with the exact same script.  If are having a hankering for a cursive typeface overdose, Notagain at Manual Entry has what you are looking for.

For anyone curious, all of these images were captured with my Fuji X-T1 and the native 35mm f1.4 lens. Lacking ambient light, these out of camera JPEG images pretty well nail white balance with a mix of halogen and fluorescent lighting on the work bench. My G+ stream is here.

As always, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to be giving this blog a pulse again, but that is partly because I have been procrastinating on a Google+ photography challenge due at the end of the week. And silly me; I saw some really great toy images from people I follow and signed up for yet another challenge series. At least the hours and hours of darkness in winter are keeping me inside. There is that.

A note about Copyright: Yes, I am greedy. These are my copyrighted images and are not to be used without attribution and never in a commercial context without my express permission. Yes, this is the Interweb and anything can be copied. No, that does not make these the property of the world. Share the love and share the full post. The Interweb will be a better place for it. Be warned: I do have enforcers who will take matters into their own claws as necessary.

A member of the Brute Squad. You were warned ;-)
 

16 comments:

  1. Nice machine with an interesting typeface!

    As for the pictures of another Lettera with an embossed logo - here you go:
    http://oztypewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/spot-difference-olivetti-lettera-22.html
    http://typewriterdatabase.com/195x-olivetti-lettera-22.2959.typewriter
    http://typewriterdatabase.com/195x-olivetti-lettera-22.3617.typewriter
    http://typewriterdatabase.com/1950-olivetti-scribe.2896.typewriter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comprehensive list! I'll have to see which ones have type samples. I have a Glasgow manufactured Lexikon 80 with type identical to the diminutive L22.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised at how close that typeface is to the Smith-Corona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different brands on different continents... Did they clone each other? Was this the work of independent type slug manufacturers? We'll likely never know.

      Delete
  3. Lovely pair of '22s. I have a couple myself including a taupe Glaswegian like yours. Rob Messenger has one with a rare embossed paper plate here: http://oztypewriter.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/spot-difference-olivetti-lettera-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat! I wouldn't have guessed that it was a Lettera 22. At first glance the typeface is the same as Smith-Corona's, but then I see clear differences in some of the capital letters. I think SC's capitals all look slightly narrower, too.

    I am as baffled as you are by the serial numbers. I think we still need to get our hands on a good, official, master list of serials for all the Olivetti factories around the world. (Was there ever another typewriter manufacturer that operated in so many places?)

    PS: Badger on crack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard: The Torpedo and I are simpatico. It ranks with Olympia portables in responsiveness, but has an even more aggressive typing action. It sounds more like live ammunition than a typewriter! I wonder what one would sound like with a new platen?

      You are correct on the Smith-Corona caps having a narrower profile. It is amazing how many typeface variations appeared in the glory days of manual typewriters.

      Delete
    2. I put a new platen on my black Torpedo 18 and it's still not a quiet machine, but it's a fine typing experience and doesn't actually injure my eardrums.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Letter 22 find, both for the typeface and color. Congratulations!

    I wish I could contribute to the Olivetti serial number enlightenment but I have been confounded myself for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you are running an Olivetti refuge and Interweb data trove, consider yourself forgiven ;-) I was getting caught up on your old entries and saw the sad news about G+ photo deletion. I'm glad you were able to rebuild your database.

      Delete
  6. Heyyyyy... Nice find. But hang on..... Tell me about this Groma I see in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Scott... my teaser background hit the mark! I need to do a proper typecast with it. The beast types like butter. I was very surprised once I gave it some fresh lube. It came cheap with kid initial smudged into the paint. Fortunately, it was thick enough to hit with a heavy duty buffing compound. It isn't quite as pretty as the plastic bodied machine that preceded it, but it is sturdier and has refreshingly clean lines that just scream purpose.

      Delete
  7. Dwayne - cool machine.

    I also have one of the Glasgow embossed machines. It's a small club that we have. :-)

    Pics here: http://typewriterdatabase.com/1954-olivetti-lettera-22.2309.typewriter

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I'm starting to get up to speed with your blog as well.

      Delete
  8. I just purchased a pistachio 22; wasn't tempted to purchase the seldom seen, apple-green version, produced only for one year.

    ReplyDelete

Dang. My blog was hit by Spam comments. Comment moderation has been turned on for some time yet to be determined.